Climate Nexus is a nonprofit strategic communications group dedicated to changing the conversation on climate change and clean energy solutions in the United States. Climate Nexus is seeking a Survey Research and Data Associate for its Campaigns & Strategies team in Washington, D.C.
Our team leads long-term narrative campaigns to change public perception and accelerate the transition from fossil fuels. We specialize in media outreach and messaging, government affairs and politics, research and polling, and opposition strategy.
Climate Nexus was created to be the behind-the-scenes connector to ensure coherent, effective climate communications and to elevate the work of a broad network of partners, including youth groups, environmental justice allies, cities and state leaders, and more. Climate Nexus provides pro bono support to organizations that work on climate change and clean energy and believes the “story” of climate change is the foundation on which meaningful action is built. Our job is to tell that story to as many people as possible.
Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Why apply: There has never been a more important time to be working on climate change; both the public will and the urgent need for action are high. But opposition forces with seemingly endless resources are stalling critical policy action on climate. We need the help of talented, committed and justice-oriented individuals who agree data, polling, message research, and analytics have a crucial role to play in communicating the threat and mobilizing the public and decision-makers to seize this opportunity for climate action.
Climate Nexus is seeking a hands-on survey research associate to empower climate and clean energy organizations with rigorous data-driven messages, analysis, and insights to guide campaigns. The survey research associate will support the design and execution of polling projects and will be the go-to expert for survey data analysis.
- Design, program, and field surveys using Qualtrics or Alchemer
- Analyze data using statistical software and techniques in R, Python, Julia or other similar open source programming languages
- Conduct background research on survey topics and specific issues as needed
- Work with internal stakeholders and affiliate partners to develop questionnaires
- Help partners think about potential survey topics and research questions
- Participate in polling calls and presentations
- Support the development of multiple questionnaires in a deadline-driven environment
- Create data visualizations such as charts for PowerPoints and dashboards for data presentations
- Analyze question wording and apply best practices to reduce non-sampling bias
- Work occasionally with the Climate Nexus digital team to analyze data related to audience engagement and analytics, and report findings from message tests
- 1-2 years of experience using R or other data analysis tools
- 1-2 years of experience analyzing survey data and summarizing results
- Experience developing questionnaires for public opinion research
- Strategic and analytical thinker with a background in polling, insights, digital analytics and/or market research
- Must be detail-oriented and comfortable working in a deadline driven environment
- Comfortable working collaboratively with a team
- Prior experience in political polling or market research
- Experience conducting data analysis in R and knowledge of Shiny-R
- Experience with digital channel performance analytics
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to translate polling data into actionable intelligence
- History conducting research using online polling methodologies
- Knowledge of survey sampling theory and hypothesis testing, including randomized controlled experiments and A/B testing
Location: Flexible. Climate Nexus has Washington, D.C. and New York City offices, although our staff is currently fully remote. Remote candidates will be considered, although occasional travel to our New York and D.C. offices will be required when it is safe.
While we value work/life balance, due to the nature of news this role will sometimes require work outside traditional hours.
Salary range: $50,000-$60,000, commensurate with experience. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave; and commuter transit benefit.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Survey Research and Data Associate” in the subject line. Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We strive to create a safe, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all gender identities, races, sexual orientations, physical or mental abilities, ethnicities, religions, ages, and perspectives. We believe striving for diversity, equity and inclusion is key to the fight for climate justice and the success of the climate movement itself.