Climate Nexus was created to be the behind-the-scenes connector to ensure coherent, effective climate communications and to elevate the work of a broad network of partners, including youth groups, environmental justice allies, cities and state leaders, and more. Climate Nexus provides pro bono support to organizations that work on climate change and clean energy and believes the “story” of climate change is the foundation on which meaningful action is built. Our job is to tell that story to as many people as possible. Climate Nexus is a sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors.
Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Climate Nexus is seeking a Finance Associate to work hand in hand with the Director of Finance & Administration, the Senior Office Manager, and our fiscal sponsor Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors to support the implementation of the Finance department’s projects and policies. The ideal candidate has demonstrated general bookkeeping skills, advanced knowledge of Excel/Google Sheets and the ability to take initiative, coordinate with others and follow through in a dynamic and highly confidential environment.
- Responsible for all aspects of accounts payable, including entering invoices and processing bill payments, including allocation of invoices across departments and journal entries.
- Expense reimbursement processing, including review of reports, documentation, and coding
- Reviewing team-wide expense reports for compliance with company policies and approving them
- Create Invoices, send them to our partners, and follow up on payments
- Code all funds received to team and project budgets
- Draft, Review and Manage contracts with outside vendors
- Draft contracts with our partners for earned revenue services
- Communicate with Vendors regarding Vendor Center registration
- Respond to internal requests for support on all contract-related matters
- Support the annual budgeting process by developing and maintaining a variety of financial schedules
- Monitoring and reporting program costs and variances to budget and forecast.
Additional relevant tasks, as assigned.
- 2-3 years of general accounting experience.
- Advanced Excel and Google Sheets proficiency
- Experience prioritizing projects, meeting deadlines, and initiating follow through with meticulous attention to detail and high-level accuracy both individually and in a team setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain working relationships with staff, partners, funders, and all other internal and external stakeholders.
- Flexible, proactive, and collaborative.
- Knowledge and experience using Concur Invoice and Expense.
- Familiarity with Vena, Hubspot, and other financial software applications.
- Some experience working with data analysis and presentation software such as Powerpoint
Location and Working Hours:
Flexible. Climate Nexus has Washington, D.C. and New York City offices, although our staff is currently fully remote. Remote candidates within the United States will be considered, although occasional travel to our New York and D.C. offices will be required when it is safe. Staff are expected to work East Coast hours, which are typically 9:30-5:30pm.
While we value work/life balance, due to the nature of our workstream this role may sometimes require work outside traditional hours.
The salary range for this position is $55,000 – $70,000, commensurate with experience. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including 20 days paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave and commuter transit benefit.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter to [email protected] under the subject line Finance Associate. Applications are being accepted until February 15, 2022. Due to the anticipated volume of interest, we regret that we cannot respond to every applicant. Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
We strive to create a safe, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all gender identities, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, physical and mental abilities, religions, ages, and perspectives. We believe striving for diversity, equity and inclusion is key to the fight for climate justice and the success of the climate movement itself.