ABOUT CLIMATE NEXUS
Climate Nexus (CN) is a nonprofit strategic communications group dedicated to changing the conversation on climate change and clean energy solutions in the United States.
Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Climate Nexus’s digital team is looking for a Content Creator who’s inspired to help people understand issues associated with climate change. We are a dynamic group of storytellers, communicators and subject-matter experts that engage with frontline groups and communities, journalists, students, scientists, policymakers, and more. We seek someone with the right mix of experience in digital content creation, digital advertising, social media, audience engagement, and content as well as storytelling strategy. The successful candidate will have: 1) the ability to create original, engaging content using multiple media across various formats for paid and organic campaigns 2) a strong desire to understand how and why the audience responds by working with the digital team to glean insights grounded in data; and 3) a passion for finding new, more effective ways to increase engagement.
Conceptual and technical visual skills are important, but not as much as the underlying desire to connect with the public, meet people where they are, and find ways to expand reach on all issues relevant to climate change.
The Content Creator reports to the Digital Director, and is expected to:
- Work with team leads to define branding, content & storytelling strategy; help organize meetings and discussions around content
- Conceive and create a variety of engaging and high-performing creatives for the digital team, especially for social media and paid advertising campaigns
- Content includes: infographics, data visualizations, email creative, programmatic display ads, social media graphics, GIFs, etc.
- Define content creation processes internally and with external teams including abiding by best practices with regard to sizing and specs of assets
- Create and design unique brand identities and logos (i.e. brand guidelines, etc.)
- Work alongside the Nexus Media Content Studio – an in-house production studio – to develop compelling video content to use across campaigns
- Spearhead opportunities to co-create content with outside partners including frontline and grassroots groups
- Create microsites and landing pages on occasion with the help of the digital team and external vendors
- Develop content for pre-creative and message tests executed by our Data Analytics specialist and polling team
- Maintain a creative archive that catalogues and categorizes all original CN creative assets
- Utilize the support of external creative vendors to develop presentation templates for use across the organization or other tasks as necessary
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant fast-paced agency or other in-house creative role experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to digest and synthesize information into compelling visuals and human-centered stories
- Loves to create culturally relevant content that speaks to diverse audiences
- Proficiency in design and interaction tools including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Experience or familiarity with Canva, Wochit, Adobe Premier, or other quick content creation tools
- Strong eye for usability, layout and information hierarchy with elevated sense of design, color and typography
- Understanding of the fundamentals of web design
- Solid grasp of image and video specifications for social media and paid advertising; willingness to enforce those best practices across the organization
- Knowledge of or interest in climate science, climate justice, sustainability or other related fields
- Passion for digital storytelling and integrate story based strategies into content design
- Data-driven, but also culturally relevant approach to evaluating content performance
- Understanding of how content fits integrates into each digital channel and workstream
- Familiarity with frontline, local, regional, or national groups working on climate change is a plus
- Fun, experimental, and creative
- Can meet tight-turnaround deadlines, prioritize assignments, and juggle multiple tasks
- A true team player who is willing to be a part of a nimble team, learn new things, experiment, and jump in whenever is necessary
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Flexible. Climate Nexus has Washington, D.C. and New York City offices, although our staff is now fully remote. Remote candidates will be considered, although occasional travel to our New York and D.C. offices will be required when it is safe.
While we value work/life balance, due to the nature of news this role will sometimes require work outside traditional hours.
The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $75,000, commensurate with experience. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave; commuter transit benefit.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected], with “Digital Content Creator” in the subject line by October 19th.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
We strive to create a safe, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all gender identities, races, sexual orientations, physical or mental abilities, ethnicities, religions, ages, and perspectives. We believe striving for diversity, equity and inclusion is key to the fight for climate justice and the success of the climate movement itself.
Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer. Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages qualified persons of diverse age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, or military/veteran status to apply.