About Climate Nexus
Climate Nexus is a nonprofit strategic communications group dedicated to changing the conversation on climate change and clean energy solutions in the United States. Climate Nexus is seeking two associates for work on our projects and partners team. This will be a Full-Time appointment with benefits, with multi-year continuation contingent on funding.
Our Projects and Partners team works across issues including climate finance, international affairs and health.
Climate Nexus was created to be the behind-the-scenes connector to ensure coherent, effective climate communications and to elevate the work of a broad network of partners, including campaigners working on climate finance and international affairs, research institutions, investors, health professionals, environmental justice allies, cities and state leaders, and more. Climate Nexus provides pro-bono support to organizations that work on climate change and clean energy and believes the “story” of climate change is the foundation on which meaningful action is built. Our job is to tell that story to as many people as possible.
Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
About the role:
We’re looking for two Associates to work across a range of communications campaigns focused primarily on the finance sector moving money out of fossil fuels and towards clean energy in the United States and around the world. Work will likely also involve supporting campaigns to increase US funding for global clean energy, adaptation, and loss and damage in the developing world and to make clear the health impacts of climate change, and foster leadership among health professionals.
- Building working relationships with reporters, and pitching story ideas and op-eds.
- Preparing the first draft of media-facing materials, including story pitches, press releases, op-eds, and products as necessary.
- Helping produce a daily monitoring note that summarizes the latest news, developments, and social media related to environmental, social, and governance factors in the financial sector, and ongoing right-wing efforts to discredit investing in clean energy.
- Developing language and images for earned and paid digital media, coordinating with our digital team for strategy and implementation.
- Daily earned media and digital monitoring, and analysis of news related to assigned projects.
- Helping maintain an editorial calendar for key moments.
- Building and maintaining press lists across projects.
- Helping coordinate webinars and press conferences.
- Participating in meetings and calls with partner organizations.
- Helping report against grants from philanthropic foundations.
- Excellent writing, editing, research, and verbal communication skills, and is receptive to feedback on their work. Able to make scientific and financial information accessible.
- Some experience working with journalists, communication, or advocacy campaigns
- Interest in climate finance and/or international issues.
- Must be willing to work on technical subjects that have multiple perspectives.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multitask and prioritize simultaneous projects.
- Comfortable working with multiple team members to tight deadlines.
- Active interest in engaging in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work within Climate Nexus, including ensuring equity is central to team strategy and communications work.
- Expertise in or willingness to learn Customer Relationship Management and PR software tools such as Cision, Hubspot and Airtable.
- Interest or knowledge of the financial sector.
- Interest or knowledge of international climate diplomacy.
- Knowledge of the US federal government, congress, and the workings of government agencies and regulators.
- Demonstrated cultural competency and ability to communicate across cultural differences.
- Sensitive to the dynamics of power and privilege in coalition building and policy making.
- Believes they have the skills to do the job and thrive at Climate Nexus, even if their ‘on-paper’ qualifications aren’t listed above or they don’t meet all of the above qualifications.
- Must be able to work in front of a computer for long periods of time (laptop will be provided by the company, with a small budget for outfitting your workspace to your comfort if you choose to work remotely).
Flexible. Climate Nexus has teams in the Washington, D.C., and New York City areas, although our staff is currently fully remote. Occasional travel to our New York and/or D.C. may be required when it is safe. While we value work/life balance, due to the nature of news this role will sometimes require work outside traditional hours.
Approximately $58,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience. Climate Nexus offers a robust benefits package, including four weeks of paid vacation, additional personal leave, and unlimited sick time; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave; and commuter transit benefits.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Projects and Partners Associate” in the subject. Applications are being accepted until January 8, 2023. Due to the anticipated volume of interest, we regret that we cannot respond to every applicant. Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer.